Asia-Pacific, Built Environment, October 21 2019
Get Luminance has been developed from research and provides an empirical basis for calculating luminance. Get Luminance measures what is ‘seen’ by a photograph and reflects the conditions experienced by users. It measures luminance in the prevailing light conditions, (rather than the pure colour with a controlled light source – the basis of most colorimeters). The aim is to:
- Provide and maintain good luminance contrast to create environments that are easier and safer to use by everyone.
- Provide a cost effective and easy-to-use tool.
- Facilitate assessing building compliance in commercial and public buildings and the public realm.
- Assist designers identify compliant designs during the design process.
- Support maintenance and asset management of existing assets.
- Demystify luminance contrast and make it a mainstream concern.
Get Luminance includes the 4 main calculation methods used worldwide:
- Simple difference
- Bowman Sapolinski
- Proportional difference
Who should use this App? Anyone concerned with safety and amenity in the built environment, such as certifiers/building control, access consultants, architects, designers, contractors, facilities managers, asset managers, disability groups, clients (building owners/tenants/employers etc), you and me.
Get Luminance is a free, easy-to-use diagnostic tool for anyone who wants to create and maintain good luminance contrast in the built environment. Based on extensive research and a patent-pending innovation, Get Luminance has been developed by an access consultant for built environment professionals. Get Luminance measures what is ‘seen’ by a photograph and reflects conditions experienced by users in the prevailing light, (rather than pure colour with a controlled light source). Including the 4 main calculation methods used worldwide, Get Luminance is great for identifying compliant designs and demystifying luminance contrast. Available from Apple App Store or from Google Play. For more information visit the website.