On 31 March, Emergency Decree No. 034-2021 was published in an extraordinary edition, through which the Social Health Insurance (ESSALUD) has been authorized to pay the ‘Economic Benefit of Emergency Social Protection in the face of the COVID-19 Coronavirus Pandemic’ and the ‘Temporary Disability Allowance for patients diagnosed with COVID-19’ during 2021.
Below, we provided in detail the main aspects of the emergency decree:
Payment of the ‘Economic Benefit of Emergency Social Protection in the face of the Coronavirus Pandemic COVID-19’
- ESSALUD is authorized in 2021 to make the payment of economic benefit to workers in furlough approved by the Labor Authority, whose employer has up to 100 workers and of which the gross monthly salary is not greater than PEN 2,400.00.
- This does not apply to workers whose household has received any of the subsidies granted by the state under COVID-19.
- The amount of the benefit is PEN 760.00 for each overdue calendar month that the perfect suspension of work lasts for, up to a maximum of 3 months.
- If the perfect suspension lasts less than 30 calendar days, the corresponding proportion is considered.
- The maximum period of three months is calculated considering the previous periods for which the economic benefit has been granted.
- In order to receive the benefit, workers must submit their application to the VIVA ESSALUD platform. To do so, they must provide an Interbank Account Code (CCI in Spanish) corresponding to a valid account in the national currency.
- It is not possible to record the account in which the worker’s the Compensation for Time of Service (CTS in Spanish) has been deposited.
- Workers may authorize that the benefit be credited to an electronic money account.
- The right to apply for the financial benefit expires 90 calendar days after the end of the perfect suspension of work.*
Payment of ‘Temporary Disability Allowance for patients diagnosed with COVID-19’
- It is stipulated that the benefit will be granted in relation to the confirmatory diagnostic tests of COVID-19 carried out until 31 March 2021.
- The benefit is granted on a one-time basis and is subject to the budget allocated for that purpose.
- Employers’ entitlement to claim reimbursement expires 90 calendar days from the date of the COVID-19 confirmatory diagnostic test result. ESSALUD will verify the information declared by the employer for the granting of the subsidy in 2020 and 2021, in order to identify those that are not related to the declaration in the PDT-PLAME.
* For the calculation of the 90 days, the period from 1 January 2021 to the date of publication of the Emergency Decree (31 March 2021) is not calculated.